[gmx-users] g_sham -dim ? (fwd)

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 12 14:39:02 CET 2007

>From: David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
>To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] g_sham -dim ? (fwd)
>Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:26:23 +0100

You could see a principal component as the distance from the average
along a certain direction. But this is not a distance between particles
in an n-dimensional space.

To be more precise: in principal component analysis one does a linear
transformation of the coordinates.
Problems arise in histogram methods when a non-linear transformation
is applied. As in the case where you want to go from a difference
vector between two particles in Cartesian coordinates to a vector
length and two angles. If one then bins lengths, one has to take
the Jacobian of this transformation into account. That is what the -dim
option of g_sham does.

Berk.