[gmx-users] incomparable results with files produced with gromacs3.2.1 and 3.3.1

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Fri Mar 23 07:41:03 CET 2007

Sampo Karkola wrote:
> Thanks for the quick answer!
>
> I did gmxcheck for the em and md tpr-files and they do differ on lot of
> things. However, I do not know what these differences mean. I was
> looking for some documentation about the output from gmxcheck but
> couldn't find any, so if someone has some guides on how to read the
> output, I'd be grateful. Or if someone would be kind enough to take a
> look at the output at http://www.helsinki.fi/~karkola/gmxcheck.tar.gz

It's a bit of a dark art, but I had a look and there is something
changing with your force field description, which leads me back to the
.top file.

>>> Luckily, I had an older simulation (with gromacs 3.2.1, now I'm using
>>> 3.3.1) with the same ligand (except one atom type is changed from NR
>>> in the old topology to N in new topology) alone and there the
>>> energies decreased as they should. To study the differences in the
>>> ligand-alone simulations, I performed an mdrun with the old tpr file
>>> (mdrun -s old.tpr -o new_run -c new_run...) and the energies
>>> decreased again, as they should. Next, I grompped a new tpr-file from
>>> the old gro, top and mdp files, got a new tpr file and simulated it
>>> resulting in decreasing energies again. But when I try to do the
>>> whole process from the beginning using the same pdb file as in the
>>> older run something goes differently and the mdrun produces rising
>>> energies.

You should diff your old and new .top files to see what is different
there. If nothing seems to be the culprit, please upload a sample and a
diff and I'll look.