[gmx-users] Topology file for D2O

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 08:52:47 CEST 2007

Hi Joys Yu,

I'm not exactly sure what is happening and why the mass is not
produced correctly. You could check in the .tpr file using gmxdump
whether the masses are correct there, but given the log, it probably
is not. It is possible that grompp does not read the altered
ffgmx.atp, but uses an original, unaltered one instead. You can
circumfent that by copying the altered file to your working directory.

Alternatively, and probably a bit cleaner, you can copy the file
spc.itp to d2o.itp and edit the masses there, leaving the .atp file.
In addition, you could change the residue name to D2O, which you would
also have to change in the .gro file to (sed s/SOL/D2O/ d2o.gro >
d2o-out.gro). That way, you just add a new molecule type.

On another note, you might want to use a different force field.
Although it probably shouldn't matter for pure SPC/D2O, the GMX force
field is deprecated and should not be used for production runs, unless
there are specific reasons to do so, e.g. replication of earlier
results.

Best,

Tsjerk

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.