[gmx-users] Topology file for D2O

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 16:33:09 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am not an expert about heavy water -- but it does seem strange to me
to think that you could get "heavy water" just by changing the mass of
the hydrogens in a conventional water model. The *only* thing this
will affect is the kinetic energy and mass of water. Presumably
changing hydrogen to deuterium *should* also affect other things, such
as perhaps slightly altering the electrostatics or dispersion
interactions, or the water molecule shape. I'm no expert -- but I bet
there's more to it than just a slight change in mass.

Maybe you might already know part of the answer to this: Why is it you
want to run with D2O instead of regular water? I'm guessing it's
because you expect some difference in behavior... Should that really
be due exclusively to a difference in mass?

David