[gmx-users] Installation problem:gcc-g77

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Nov 7 09:12:14 CET 2007

> Hi,
> I just have a fresh install FC7 (instead of FC5). Gromacs requires the lam
> package as a Prerequisite, but it cannot be installed successfully due to
> a dependency of gcc-g77.

So you might need a lam that doesn't use gcc-g77. Check with their
download page for what's available. You can certainly try to install lam
from source using gfortran, and then gromacs from source will also be
happy.

> I completely  installed gcc and gcc-c++. According to my architecture FC,
> the gcc-fortran-4.1.2-27.fc7.i386 would be installed.  I think  that
> gcc-fortran should be as same  as gcc-g77, but it does not. It still
> require gcc-g77 for the installation of lam package.

If it's just a name difference, then you can just rename something, or
override whatever the objection from RPM is. You'll have to know what
you're doing to get the job finished, however.