[gmx-users] high pressure simulations

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 15 14:17:55 CET 2007

mateusz sikora wrote:
> Hi all,
> i am trying to set up high pressure simulations of a protein. I am using
> NPT ensemble, with isotropic pressure scaling, standard compressibility,
> room temperature. I am wondering how I can rise pressure from 1 bar to
> as much as 5 kBar. Is it safe to do it under Parinello-Raman coupling? I
> want to avoid huge oscillations of a box while adding the pressure -
> they can result in a box explosion/collapse. Would setting tau_P to some
> bigger value (like 100 or something) make any difference?

Changing tau_p will damp the extent to which the coupling affects the
system. You should probably do this process with stepwise increments of
ref_p. You should also go and parameterize a force field for high
pressures, too, since the standard ones are parameterized against
experimental data from 1 bar or so. There's no reason to suppose the
parameters are transferable to high pressure, unless you can demonstrate
that they are by comparison of simulation and suitable experimental data.