[gmx-users] free energy calculations in charged systems

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 21 09:23:52 CET 2007

First of all, PME is always the best option.
If PME can not do it, cut-off or reaction-field electrostatics can surely
not do it.

You have given a very short description of the problem.
I don't understand what you want to do exactly.
It is very difficult to change the net charge of your system,
also in most cases there there will not be an experiment to compare to.
You can get free energies when the net charge does not change,
for instance for simutaneously discharging ions and counterions.
But there I don't see how the end state could be a realistic system.
Also it could be difficult to sample.

But the capabilities of Gromacs are not the issue here.

Berk.