[gmx-users] Neutralizing the total charge of the system in vacuum

Ran Friedman, Biochemisches Inst. r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Sat Nov 24 19:20:25 CET 2007

Hello,

You can add a few ions manually or use genbox. However, it's probably better
to use a vacuum force field and have your peptide uncharged for vacuum
simulations. Any ions you add will have a very strong interaction with the
peptide.

I assume you have a good reason to simulate in vacuo - the mailing list
archives give many reasons why it's not advised.

Ran.

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:47:43 +0200
  "OZGE ENGIN" <OZENGIN at KU.EDU.TR> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am performing a simulation in vacuum. The peptide has  nonzero charge,
>so I attempted to neutralize the total charge via genion;however as it is
>known, it asks for a continuous group for replacing, but I have no solvent
>molecules for the replacement.
>
> How can I neutralize the total charge while performing simulations in
>vacuum?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Oz.

Ran Friedman
Postdoctoral Fellow
Computational Structural Biology Group (A. Caflisch)
Institute of Biochemistry
University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland