[gmx-users] area by lipid

maite lopez cabezas lopezmai at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 11:48:31 CET 2007

Well I know that the x/y directions are scaled isotropically and the z
direction is scaled independiently, and i must give just 2
compresibility valors, but people don't give this valor in the most of
the papers about membrane simulations. For example i use
on  DPPC membrane
compressibility          =4.5e-5 4.5e-5
 ref-p                    = 1.0 1.0

the area change from 0.64 to 0.62. When i use the same parameter on
POPG or POPC bilayer  the system is exploding. If i change to
on POPC and POPG
compressibility          =1.0e-5  4.5e-5
 ref-p                    = 1.0 1.0

it gives areas about 0.639 (POPC) and 0.53 (POPG). The POPG area is
according to "Atomic-scale structure and electrostatics of anionic
POPG lipid bilayers with Na+ counterions", W. Zhao, T. Rog, A.A.
Gurtovenko, I. Vattulainen, and M. Karttunen, Biophys J. 92, 1114-1124
(2007), and I'm using the same temperature. But the POPC area isn't
good.

My questions are:

Can i use  compressibility =0 4.5e-5 and  ref-p = 0 1.0 on
peptide-membrane systems? (at first the peptide is about 10 A to the
bilayer interface and after it's inserting in the membrane)

What are the correct valors for the compressibility on membrane systems?

Thanks a lot,

Maité