[gmx-users] Setting up Carbon Nanotube Simulations

Robert Johnson bobjohnson1981 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 16:53:08 CET 2007

Hi Joshua,
Since each carbon-carbon bond is identical, you can just include the
bonded information as a separate .itp file or at the top of your
system .top file. For example, at the top of your .top file you can
include the [ defaults ], [ atomtypes ], [ bondtypes ], [angletypes],
[dihedraltypes], [moleculetypes] before the [ atoms ] section. You can
then include the force field parameters in these sections. Check the
Gromacs manual for the proper syntax. One note of caution. The
function types in the  [ bonds ] and [ bondtypes ] sections (same for
angles etc.) must match.  Thus, even though you will have the
parameters left blank in the [ bonds ] section, if you are using a
Morse potential you have to make sure that there is a 3 for function
type.

If you opted to use a separate .itp file, you would have to place all
the [ *types ] sections in a separate file. You would then generate
separate .itp files for each molecule you are working with (nanotube
and argon). Then you would have a master topology file .top that
includes all the necessary files and specifies how many of each are in
your system.

All you need to start a Gromacs simulation is an input file (.mdp), a
topology file and a coordinate file. The format of the coordinate file
can be anything (.pdb, .gro, .g96 etc.)
Bob