[gmx-users] Different nstxout and nstvout in mdp file gives totally different trajectory

van Bemmelen J.J.M.vanBemmelen at student.TUDelft.NL
Mon Oct 8 18:57:52 CEST 2007

Hi Tanping,

I don't know if that is the problem, but it could be.

I think there was (and still may be) a reproducibility issue when using
PME in GROMACS version 3.3.1 combined with FFTW3. See for instance the
maillist posts (and subsequent threads)
http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-developers/2006-December/001986.htm
l,
http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-developers/2007-January/001989.html
and http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2007-May/027397.html.

Some time ago I had the same problem with version 3.3.1 as you described
(simulation results changing when only changing output parameters). But
at that time I figured it was probably due to the abovementioned
PME-issue, and didn't give it much attention.

However, I'm definitely not the expert here, so I may be sending you in
a totally wrong direction. Especially since you're using the much older
3.2.1 version, of which I don't know whether it has the same issue. So I
guess my best advice to you at this moment would be to switch to the
newest version (3.3.2) first and check whether the problem persists.

Greetings,
Jeroen