[gmx-users] Re: Problems prior to running lipid-protein simulation

Bruce Milne bfmilne at ff.up.pt
Thu Oct 11 14:35:43 CEST 2007

gmx-users-request at gromacs.org wrote:
> Bruce Milne wrote:
>
>> > You don't have to run pdb2gmx for the whole system at any point
>>
> Probably true.
>> > (it's
>> > not going to work anyway unless you add the POPC parameters to all the
>> > force field files and then add the POPC residue to the  .rtp file so
>> > that  pdb2gmx can recognize it).
>>
> Not quite true. The contents of the .itp files don't matter to pdb2gmx
> since it writes a .top file that #includes them. So you need to have a
> working POPC entry in an .rtp file for pdb2gmx, and later on, when
> using grompp, you'll need the former contents of the .rtp file to
> correspond to stuff the .itp files. The latter you need even without
> using pdb2gmx, of course.

Good point. I was only considering the case where you want pdb2gmx to
provide you with a complete .top file that needs no additions and takes
all its parameters from the same place (as you would get for a protein
for example).

Anyway, if you have the .itp files then I think it is easier to simply
add the required #include lines to the protein.top file so that it
covers all the molecule types in your coordinate file without trying to
get pdb2gmx to recognize the lipids.

Cheers,

Bruce

--
"Hamewith - the road that's never dreary"

Dr. Bruce F. Milne
CEQOFFUP
Faculdade de Farmácia
Universidade do Porto