[gmx-users] Removal of unwanted water from lipid bilayer after solvating the structure from genbox: problem and solution

Alok alokjain at iitk.ac.in
Sat Oct 27 08:22:17 CEST 2007

Dear Chris,

Thanks again for investing your valuable time on my problem.

I forgot to mention in my previous mail that, I have made total
two changes in the parameters. First I changed x/y compressibility from 0
(zero) to 4.5e-5 and second x/y ref_t from zero to 1.0 as you have
suggested.

OLD PARAMETERS:
Pcoupl                       = Berendsen
 Pcoupltype               = semiisotropic
 tau_p                        =   2       2
 compressibility        =    0       4.5e-5
 ref_p                         =  0       1.0

NEW PARAMETERS:
Pcoupl                       = Berendsen
Pcoupltype                   = semiisotropic
tau_p                         =  2         2
compressibility              =  4.5e-5    4.5e-5
ref_p                        =  1.0       1.0

Mark suggestion came after seeing my original structure, actually the
original structure of pre-equilibrated POPE bilayer which I took from Dr.
Peter Tieleman web site, have a structure such that lipid molecules are
distributed irregularly , that's why after removing the unwanted water by
a script I was getting too much vacuum between water and head groups.

So mark suggested to take Z_max and Z_min manually after visual
inspection of bilayer, So I had supplied Z_max and Z_min manually to my
script (not calculated by my perl script after sorting the Z coordinates, as
I was doing previously). This way the extent of vacuum reduced a lot.

Later I had made changes in my parameter file as mentioned above (based on
your suggestion), till now after 1ns run, my structure looks fine to me.

Thanks a lot your and mark valuable suggestions and time.

PS: If moderator permit me then I will  post the picture (size 381
kb only) which will help to explain my problems and solution more clearly.

Best Regards,
Alok