[gmx-users] Why Total Energy is positive??

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 17:46:48 CEST 2007

> If it is fine, then how can I compare the result with ab inito's? Thanks.

Two things:
(1) Total and potential energies are only meaningful up to an additive
constant. So there is no reason in principle your potential energy (or
total energy) should be negative rather than positive. Just think
about gravitational potential energy, for example: If I say that
"zero" potential energy is when I have a ball sitting on the ground,
then it has a potential energy of m*g*L if I hold it L meters off the
ground. But if zero potential energy  is at M meters, then it has a
potential energy of m*g*(L-M) when I hold it L meters off the ground,
and -m*g*M when it's on the ground.
(2) You want to compare the total potential energy of your system from
an ab initio calculation with that from MD? Why? (That is, what do you
hope this will tell you?) (For reason #1, as well as for other
reasons, this is not likely to be a meaningful comparison).

David