[gmx-users] freeze groups and com motion

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 6 19:38:22 CEST 2007

>From: David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>
>To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] freeze groups and com motion
>Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:34:31 +0200
>
>Zhou Bo wrote:
>>Dear Fellow Users,
>>
>>    I am modeling a system of a monolayer adsorbed on a water/solid
>>interface. I just freeze the solid substrate, and I use ewald_geometry =
>>3dc in the mdp file (a vaccum boundary is upon the water). As the mass of
>>the monolayer is 3 times less than the substrate, and 13 times less than
>>the solvent, I am not sure whether or not I should remove the com motion
>>of the whole system. Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>

>don't do anything else to stuff you've frozen (e.g. no constraints either).
>you can stopcm the monolayer+water, or separate.

What you would want is stopcm only the xy components of monolayer+water.
If you also stop z you get artifacts, as you have an absolute reference in
z.
I think that in the current version this is not possible.
In Gromacs 4.0 this will be possible with uniform walls.
But we probably should add a xy only mdp option for stopcom.

Berk.