[gmx-users] 8MB CPU cache vs 4MB CPU cache: large difference in performance?

Frankie Montenegro frankie.montenegro at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 01:08:54 CEST 2007

Hi,

I am about to purchase several units with Intel's quadcore q6600
processors. Since about 80% of our work is done with Gromacs, I
figured this list is a place to ask performance questions.

I was wondering if there would be any significant benefit in having a
q6600 processor with 8MBof L2 cache over the identical processor
with 4MB of L2 cache. The price difference is about 60$,which doesn't
seem much,  but could pile up if we end up buying more then a few units.

Thanks for your help.