[gmx-users] 8MB CPU cache vs 4MB CPU cache: large difference in performance?

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Sep 9 16:08:00 CEST 2007

Yang Ye wrote:
> Cache size matters because it ensures a steady data/instruction flow to
> feed the "hungry" CPU, especially with Intel Coreo architecture. With
> database-type application, larger cache benefits much. In case of
> GROMACS, unless you deal with very large system, I doubt its
> effectiveness. It could be better to run some real-world benchmarks. Or
> look for benchmark that contains software operating in a similar way of
> GROMACS, e.g. scientific benchmark, multimedia benchmark (decoding/3D
> rendering, with SSE boost).

but note that you now get four cores that share the cache, so 1 Mb/core
or 2Mb/core. That does matter. For an honest comparison you should
compare (price with 8Mb/price wih 4Mb) / (Performance 8 Mb / Performace
4 Mb), where performance is in ns/day. I would think that 60$ extra per
chip is worhtwhile.

> Regards,
> Yang Ye

David van der Spoel, Ph.D.