[gmx-users] Adding two peptides in a water box

Triguero, Luciano O ltriguero at miami.edu
Mon Sep 10 21:56:36 CEST 2007

Hi Guys,

Thank very much for your time trying to help me with this issue.

It seems from all your answers that adding two identical peptides, separated by a certain distance from each other, and then put them into a water box with ions is a simple task. However, it is still puzzling me. Although, I have analized very carefelly all your suggestions and proved them, my problem still remain unsolved.

My last .gro file, the one containing the two petides with water and ions, lacks the H in the N-term of the first protein, and the O in the C-term of the second protein.

John,

You suggested to me to use the -label option, but forgot to tell me from which gromacs program tool. The pdb2gmx version I have (VERSION 3.3.1) does not contain such a label. This option (-label) exists in the editconf, but it did not solve the problem.  Could you be more specific and tell me, how to use this option -label and to which tools it is connected? Please, I will appreciate any simple example.

Lars and Mark,

I always read your emails, they have helped me a lot in many different occacions, but this time I could not figure out
any simple solution from your recommendations. I've read the manual, particularly chapter 5, but still there are things that I can not put together; perhaps that is why I can not solve this "rather" simple problem.

Let me explain once again, what I am trying to do. Perhaps, I was not clear enough the first time I put my problem in the list:

I want to simulate the interaction between two identical proteins solvateed in water. I think, I am familiar with GROMACS, and I know how to prepare, run and analyze a single solvate peptide.

Thus, following the same procedures, I started preparing my simulation with the two identical proteins.

I start from the PDB file of protein_A.pdb. Creates the protein_A.gro and protein_A.top file.
I applied translation and rotations to the protein_A.gro file (edifconf) and creates a new protein_B.gro file that I named protein_B.gro
I assume that the protein_A.top file is the same for protein_B.gro, so I don't need to run pdb2gmx again.

Thus, at this point I have two .gro files and one topology file. So, how do I modified the .gro files and the .top file
to clearly indicate that I have two chains in my composed system?

P.S. I also read the pdb2gmx -h very carefully and did not find any second alternative. The -[no]merge flag, that might indicates to be useful for this type of problem, did not work either.

Please, I need your HELP!

All the best,

Luciano

Dr. Luciano Triguero College of Art and Science Department of Physics and Chemistry Cox Science Building 1301 Memorial Drive, Room 146 P.O Box 249118 Coral Gables, FL 33124-0431 Cellular: 305-904-2419 Office: 305-284-3938