[gmx-users] single vs double precision issues

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Sep 18 15:27:16 CEST 2007

Adrien Leygue wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I am experiencing several problems which all seem to relate to single
> vs. double precision.
>
> 1-) I am doing simulations of a liquid crystal system using a custom
> force field but whenever I try to run them in parallel they all crash
> after some time (238 ps) unless I run them in single precision. The
> error message tend to vary but it is usually something like:

please run tpbconv_d -f -s -e -time 230 -o test.tpr

test whether this tpr crashes in double but not in single, and if it
still crashes please submit a bugzilla.

Have you done make distclean between compilations?

> 2-) I am also doing simulations of coarse grained molecules using
> virtual sites and home-made tabulated potentials (using several
> table_X_Y.xvg files). I haven't tried parallel runs. These simulations
> run prefectly in double precision but whenerver I try to go to single
> precision they crash almost immediately (prior energy minimization is
> performed in double precision). I have tried to re-run some energy
> minimization on the system in single precision but this stops
> immediately as well. Looking at the output I see huge forces and
> potential energy which are not present in double precision. However if
> I remove all non-bonded interactions (I do not have charges) in the
> topology file the energy minimization works fine in single precision.
>
> I can however simulate a LJ fluid using any of the above tabulated
> potential. I assume there must be some coupling between constraints,
> virtual sites, and tabulated potentials but then why does it work in
> single precision.
The spacing in single precision tables is usually different than in
double, but this should be taken care of automatically.

Again if you have a tpr that crashes in single but not in double then
you are welcome to submit a bugzilla.

--
David van der Spoel, Ph.D.