[gmx-users] set up topology in free energy calculations

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Mon Apr 7 14:06:05 CEST 2008

QL,

1. Yes. I'd use version a) because of, the less dummies, the better.
2. Yes
3. Of course, charges have to vanish for dummies, too. Keep the bonded
terms. If not, your dummies will "diffuse" away.

Yes, your assumption about dummies is right.

Actually, I won't use this system for your first perturbation. Take
something simpler.
Second, as indicated by point 3, you will have to tackle a disappearing
netto charge of -1 (depending on the pH of course). This usually is a
problem.
There were discussions of PME being problematic here.
Morphing an ion to counter that charge difference is possible. However,
I think this would lead to a very bad equilibrated system and no
reasonable results.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310