[gmx-users] CPMD and gmx

Vasilii Artyukhov darth.vasya at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 19:39:52 CEST 2008

Dear Andrey,

The maximum time step depends on whether you're doing Born-Oppenheimer or
Car-Parrinello MD. In the case of usual BO MD, you normally want a time step
of 0.5-1.0 fs, possibly 2 fs, if you use rigid molecules. In the CP case,
you have to use a much smaller time step to make sure that the electronic
degrees of freedom remain decoupled from the atomic motion (the whole idea
of CP approach is to do more time steps, but with only a single iteration
for the electronic structure at each step instead of a full SCF
minimization). You can find some introductory reading on this, e.g., at the
Dominik Marx group website:
http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/home.en.html