[gmx-users] Bad .tpr or .xtc files?

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 09:22:42 CEST 2008

Hi Peggy,

I suspect that in your .mdp file you have a line

xtc-grps = Protein

This means that the xtc file will only contain those atoms which
gromacs reckognizes as amino acids, based on the list in the file
aminoacids.dat. Your .tpr file which is used to base the index on,
contains all atoms, including the Ca/Cl. You can easily check how many
atoms there are in your xtc file using gmxcheck and compare this to
the groups you see based on the .tpr as you've given. If you need the
calcium and chloride in the trajectory while you've only written
Protein, you'll have to redo the simulation, changing the xtc-grps
line in the .mdp, copy the file aminoacids.dat and add the ions to it
or use an index file when running grompp. Of course you can first have
a look at teh .trr file which contains all atoms by definition, but
that is usually written much less frequent.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

--
Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.