[gmx-users] dielectric constant

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Apr 18 08:19:58 CEST 2008

Mark Abraham wrote:
> gadies at fh.huji.ac.il wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm interested in running a simulation in which the box will be
>> divided in to two different dielectric constants separated at a plane.
>> Is it possible to do that in Gromacs?
>
> Possible, yes. However it is not implemented, and it is not a trivial
> change to do so.

If you do that (and implement a position dependent epsilon_r that is not
1) your system will most likely explode. Using epsilon_r different from
1 means that the weighting between Coulomb and Van der Waals forces will
be different. For e.g. water e_r > 1 will make the system explode, e_r <
1 will make it implode. Your choice.

--
David van der Spoel, Ph.D.