[gmx-users] Loop displacement calculation?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 22 09:27:11 CEST 2008

SeungPyo Hong wrote:
> Thank you for your kind response.
>
> I think that I do not clearly describe the system.
>
> The loop I mentioned above seems to interact with the other parts of the
> protein with hydrophobic interactions.
> So, the displacement of the loop from the original position will make
> the free energy difference, and this can estimate the energy stabilized
> by the loop placement on its natural form.
>
> Is this statement seems to be reasonable?

That makes a lot more sense, however I don't have the expertise to judge
whether there's a better method around.

> Frankly I am not understanding the free energy calculation method, and
> maybe it is the reason why I think that this simulation works.
> I premised that if the free energy code really calculate the free energy
> a certain ensenble of microstates, it can be used to test the stability
> of the part of the protein.

Follow the links here
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Special:Search?search=free+energy&go=Go
for some tutorial material. Obviously, you will only ever calculate free
energy *differences*.