[gmx-users] Question about gcc version

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Apr 28 20:19:45 CEST 2008

Hi All,

I recently installed Gromacs version 3.3.3 on a dual-core Intel MacBook running
OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard).  The default gcc from XCode was 4.0.1, and the Gromacs
installation went just fine (serial and parallel) when using this gcc.  I know
that the download site mentions that gcc  4.1.x is broken, and the problems
with such compilers have been well-documented across this list, but I was
wondering if anyone know if gcc 4.0.1 was problematic as well.  I had no
problems during any phase of the installation, but I just wasn't sure if I'd
develop some strange error using an analysis tool.

I can also install gcc-3.3 in another location, and can easily make that the
default gcc, but I was just curious to see if 4.0.1 was alright to avoid the
effort, if possible :)

Thanks for any insights.

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant