[gmx-users] Testing

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Aug 1 12:06:07 CEST 2008

David van der Spoel wrote:
> chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
>> Roll back to gcc 3.x.
>>
>> There is information available that says something like "don't use gcc
>> 4.x, it is broken", but I stand by my previous comments that it is
>> unfortunate that it is up to the end user to search the gromacs
>> archives to find this out, not withstanding that it is a gcc-based
>> problem.
>>
>> In my opinion, you're fortunate to have found this out and there are
>> probably *lots* of people running gcc 4.x installations of gromacs
>> right now.
>
> We discussed including the test set with the distribution, which would
> simplify the procedure, but decided against it, because the distribution
> would become a lot bigger.
>
> Maybe we should reconsider this?

I think the most common problem people have is not knowing where to get the test
set (I know I've seen it asked several times across this list).  Since it's got
its own page on the wiki with all the documentation, maybe it would be useful to
simply print a message to the screen after the installation:

"If you would like to test your installation of Gromacs, visit
http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Test-set and download the appropriate set.
This is especially recommended for users who have compiled with gcc 4.x"

Just a thought.

-Justin

>> Chris.

Justin A. Lemkul