[gmx-users] Testing

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 1 15:59:54 CEST 2008

This type of notification is a good idea, although I would suggest a
few things.

- Find a way to make this message visible to people who script their
installation and redirect their output to log files. For example, if I
get executable binaries and I can't find the word error or warning in
any log file then I don't read the thousands of lines and might miss a
warning message like this.

- While mentioning that the installation should be tested, mention
what can happen if it is not tested: e.g. "we have verified reports of
installations that appear successful yielding incorrect dynamics
because, for instance, the PME is not connecting to the dynamics..."

- I think that the test set should be included and should be
automatically run, and the binaries deleted if the tests fail, even if
that makes it a large distribution file and makes the installation
take 12h. This is scientific software, and how many people include the
compiler that they use and confirm that they used the test set when
writing up their methods section? The strict inclusion of a test set
would make gromacs fast, flexible, free, and fastidiously reproducible.

Chris.