[gmx-users] Normal Mode Analysis in Double-Precision

Inon Sharony InonShar at post.TAU.ac.IL
Mon Aug 4 11:12:20 CEST 2008

This is exactly the point - I get only three significant digits.
Although I performed the entire procedure in double-precision. The
convergence to 5E-4 DID occur in single-precision, I just thought it
wasn't good enough (the program recommends 1E-5 and when
double-precision works for me I got 1E-6 with the files you sent me).
I also wouldn't mind a clearer explanation of how you fixed bugzilla
168 (see my request at
http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-August/035543.html).
Which lines did you add, and which did you change to comments in
eigio.c ?

Thanks, and have a great week.

Inon.

Quoting "Ran Friedman" <r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch>:

> Hi Inon,
>
> Check the files after EM. How many significant digits do you have?
> guess you wouldn't get a convergence to 5E-4 with single precision.
 From
> my experience it may be worth to run several cycles of EM, say CG
and
> then L-BFGS to get better convergence.
>
> Ran.
>

> Inon Sharony wrote:
>> I now performed:
>>
>> make distclean
>> ./configure --disable-float
>> make
>> make install
>> make links
>>

>> All executed without problems. Now I no longer have segmentation
>> faults (thanks David!), however the energy minimization still does
not
>> achieve 1E-05 kJ / mole nm convergence (only as good as ~5E-04 for
>> pentane). When I looked in the *.tpr file I saw that the
coordinates