[gmx-users] Normal Mode Analysis in Double-Precision

Inon Sharony InonShar at post.TAU.ac.IL
Mon Aug 4 11:53:02 CEST 2008

Dear Ran,

I'm still unsure of why I sometimes can get double-precision output
and sometimes not. I can't find what I'm doing differently in each
case, however I now know what to look for in order to be sure that I'm
getting what I need. Obviously, the need for double-precision stems
only from the need to minimize the structure well before calculating
the Hessian. When I get a maximal force of more than 1E-6 I will get
some negative eigenvalues (which the program sets as zero) and some
other eigenvalues which are nearly zero. In all, there are six such
eigenmodes which I disregard as rigid-body degrees of freedom (3
translational and 3 rotational). The next modes have larger positive
eigenvalues.
As for the fix in eigio.c: I made lines 110-112 into COMMENTS (they
were not comments in the original file in the source). I recompiled
the entire program (didn't know at the time that I can "make" only one
function). Now the g_anaeig_d works fine (as best as I can tell).
Thank you so much for all of your help!

Inon.

http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-August/035543.html).