[gmx-users] Re: Question about octahedral boxes (solved)

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Aug 5 03:31:54 CEST 2008

Just to follow up to my own message - I have solved this problem.  Based on some
archived materials from the Stanford workshop on the wiki site, I have
successfully re-generated the correct octahedral representation with the following:

trjconv -s min.tpr -f solv_ions.gro -o compact.gro -ur compact -pbc mol

Somehow I had overlooked trying -pbc mol in my earlier attempts.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having what seems to be an easily solvable problem, but I can't
> quite find the solution.  I have a very simple system - protein, water,
> and ions - in an octahedral box.  For visualization purposes, I would
> like to render the system in its true octahedral shape, but no matter
> what I do, I still get a rectangular box.  The threads in the archives
> have repeatedly stated that trjconv -ur compact solves this issue, but
> for me it is not working.  Maybe I'm making some silly mistake that I
> can't see, but I'd be very appreciative if someone could point it out.
>
> editconf -f protein.pdb -d 1.0 -bt octahedron -o newbox.gro
> (genbox and genion follow to give "solv_ions.gro")
>
> Using the .tpr file I made for minimization:
>
> trjconv -s min.tpr -f solv_ions.gro -ur compact -o compact.gro
>
> Even with various iterations of -pbc, -center, and -boxcenter, I always
> get the same thing.  I have visualized my system in VMD, PyMOL, and
> ngmx, and everything shows the same shape.  My Gromacs version is 3.3.3,
> all tests passed after installation on my dual-core MacBook (OS X
> 10.5.4, gcc 4.0.1).
>
> Any ideas?  Thanks for your attention.
>
> -Justin

Justin A. Lemkul