[gmx-users] membrane with OPLS force field

Volker Wirth wirthvolker at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 16:39:38 CEST 2008

Hi Justin,

thanks a lot for your response! Of course my mail was a bit
"provocative", as I know that combination methods are state of the
art, used in many publications and leading to reasonable results.

>> (time scale eight months). Combining different force fields
>> (Berger/GROMOS, Berger/OPLS) for lipids and proteins would be too
>> complex, also setting up GAFF for another lipid system (DMPC, DMPS and

> I am curious to know what you believe to be "too complex" about the
> GROMOS/Berger and OPLS/Berger combinations.  Certainly arguments can be made
> that combining force fields is questionable, but it's about the best we've
> got for now.  Using GROMOS with Berger effectively requires simple addition

What I had in mind was that combining different force fields (which
represent different models of nature) increases the complexity of the
simulation and we need to do more intensive tests on the results, to
prove that we don't actually observe an effect of "interference" or
something  like that.

There is this paper by Tieleman et al.:

Membrane protein simulations with a united-atom lipid and all-atom
protein model: lipid–protein interactions, side chain transfer free
energies and model proteins
D Peter Tieleman et al 2006 J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 18 S1221-S1234
doi: 10.1088/0953-8984/18/28/S07

They point out that finding parameters for combined systems is a very
delicate problem (it is possible, though) - so the idea to use one
force field for the complete system looks much more inviting for me
(and the paper of Shirley et al. presents very good results for their
system with GAFF - _without_ protein, of course).

OK, I'm not yet sure about the method I should use...

- Volker

> of parameters to the correct locations in .itp files, and while using OPLS
> does require a bit of work in making the correct conversions, it can be done
> in about 20 minutes if you use spreadsheet software.
>
> Just something to consider.  Good reference; I recently came across it as
> well.
>
> -Justin

> Justin A. Lemkul
> Graduate Research Assistant
> Department of Biochemistry
> Virginia Tech
> Blacksburg, VA
> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080

Volker Wirth
Center for Medical Physics and Technology
Biophysics Group
FAU Erlangen-Nuremberg

Email: vwirth%at%biomed.uni-erlangen.de