[gmx-users] RE: [ atomtypes ] are not case sensitive?

Alan alanwilter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:07:47 CEST 2008

Well, I didn't developed Amber FF neither GAFF and although only Amber FF is
ported to GMX, one of the greatest appealing of Amber is its antechamber and
GAFF for generating topology for non usual compounds.

Looking at the way GAFF was developed (remember G is for generalised) is
seemed a natural step to me to use the same name for atom types but using a
different cases.

So have said that, I did a look at my converted topology file by
amb2gmx/acpypi and found that, although for vdw parameters they seem the
same, this doesn't hold for bonds for example. I have this in my GMX top
file:

[ bonds ]
96     97   1    1.0800e-01    3.0711e+05 ;    CZ2 - HZ2 (AT CA - HA)
Protein
3154   3194   1    1.0870e-01    2.8811e+05 ;    C76 - H76 (AT ca - ha)
Ligand

Anyway, after all this discussion, I realized (correct if I am wrong please)
that as long as the vdw parameters are the same, anything else is NOT
affected because even for the example of bonds above atom types change
nothing since parameters are explicit.

Then, I decided to compare gaff.dat and parm99.dat (topology parameters
files for Amber package) for vdw. I did found 2 atom types with same name
(diff case though) and diff parameters:

parm99.dat
   HP          1.1000  0.0157             Veenstra et al JCC,8,(1992),963
   Na          1.8680  0.00277            Na+ Aqvist JPC 1990,94,8021.
(adapted)

gaff.dat
   hp          0.6000  0.0157             same to hs (be careful !)
   na          1.8240  0.1700             OPLS

Observe by the comments (4th column) that although they have the same name
(but diff by case) they are completely unrelated, hence the diff values for
r0 and epsilon.

So, in the end, at least for example gaff.dat x parm99.dat (note that Amber
has several others parm*.dat and glycam*.dat), I do have a conflicting case
issue that would affect my topology in GMX format if using amb2gmx/acpypi
tool for conversion.

Pondering a bit more, I came to the conclusion that at least for acpypi
(which I am developing), I can make it aware of this conflicting atom type
naming issue and rename it when converting from Amber to GMX.

About changing something in GMX? Frankly I don't know, but I hope that this
thread can be of some use for someone else who stumbles in this problem.

Cheers and many thanks for attention dear Berk.

Alan

From: Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com>

--
Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.