[gmx-users] Selecting force field for simulation in vacuum

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Dec 4 14:23:49 CET 2008

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
> GROMOS and OPLS were derived for condensed-phase properties, so none of
> those will be useful.  I know nothing about ENCAD, however, but I do not
> often see it in the literature.

This depends on the kind of substance you are simulating. If
polarization is relatively unimportant (e.g. in alkanes) you can use the
same parameters without problems. The Trappe (united atom,
non-polarizable) force field is extensively used in liquid/vapor
equilibrium with good success, so one should not be to categorical about
these things. One can test e.g. the heat of vaporization and the second
virial coefficient to test vacuum properties.

For proteins we have used both OPLS andn GROMOS96, but the problem there
is that it is hard to verify the results.