[gmx-users] Selecting force field for simulation in vacuum

Nuno Azoia nazoia at det.uminho.pt
Thu Dec 4 15:26:32 CET 2008

Hi,

Well, what I really need is a simulations without the solvent, because
solvent calculations are time consuming, especially for water.

What do you mean by "implicit solvent"? I check the mailing list and I
have found some discussions about this, and I've found some papers that
now I need to read.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong. Implicit solvent would be a system with
no solvent molecules, being all calculations made as if there were
solvent. Can I just do a "normal" simulations, with the same parameters
I've use before, but without solvent molecules in the .gro (or any
other) file? I've found some references to implicit_solvent option
in .mdp file but I can't find it on the manual. Is it necessary?

As I understand, you use PME for such calculations. In the mailing list
I found a reference for an article that I would like to read but I can't
downloaded (Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 147801 (2006)).

Ok, now it's up to me. I'm thankful for all the help. I have some good
reading ahead of me.

Nuno Azoia