[gmx-users] Free energy of transfer with accuracy

Eudes Fileti fileti at ufabc.edu.br
Thu Dec 11 15:27:50 CET 2008

Hello David, thanks for the reply!

I am simulating the free energy of transfer of the C60, from ethanol to
benzene.
The softcore parameters, I used the are the same values of Tieleman et.al.
(nature nanotechnology, 3, 363).
At figure, each curve refers to a different solvent; one of them for ethanol
and another for benzene.
For lambda=0 I have the Coulomb and LJ parameters turn on and for lambda=1,
turn off.

I have found a large difference when simulating my system using sc_power=2.
See in this link ( http://cromo.ufabc.edu.br/~fileti/web/dgdl-scpower.jpg )
the comparison between
plots from sc_power=1 and sc_power=2 for solute in benzene.
Near 0 and 1, I believe that problem cancels out at difference, as can seen
at
( http://cromo.ufabc.edu.br/~fileti/web/dgdl-transfer.jpg ) . Then the main
problem, in my view,
is in the intermediate region, where the plot presents a deep (-500 units)
and noise minimum.
Observe that in lambda=0, sc_power=2 reduce largely the derivative, but the
critical region,
one that makes the difference in calculation of the transfer free energy,
remains the same,
ie, the derivative still oscilates a lot and is not smooth.

Are you believe that changing the value of alpha from 0.47 to 0.50 can
resolve this?
Please, ask me more details if you need.
Thanks again.
eef

Eudes Eterno Fileti
Centro de Ciências Naturais e Humanas
Universidade Federal do ABC
Rua Santa Adélia, 166 - Bloco B, Sala 1048
09210-170  Santo André - SP Brasil
+55.11.4437-8408
skype: eefileti