[gmx-users] How to calculate the thermodynamic properties of the solution?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Dec 15 06:29:48 CET 2008

Chih-Ying Lin wrote:
> HI
> How to calculate the thermodynamic properties of the solution?
>
> The thermodynamic properties of the solution, for example,
> entropy, delta S
> enthalpy, delta H
> Gibbs free energy, delta G
> free energy, delta nu
>
> How to extract the thermodynamic properties from the MD simulated system?

You can't calculate such quantities of an equilibrium system, by
definition. You can use MD to get estimates of these quantities
associated with a change. There's a small amount of discussion of some
applicable methods in the GROMACS manual, but I'd suggest you start by
reading some background material pertinent to the kinds of systems whose
properties you're trying to study.