[gmx-users] Free energy of transfer with accuracy

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 19:19:09 CET 2008

Eudes,

> But first I would want to know two things.
> 1) The parameter sc-sigma of 0.5 is reasonable?
> How this parameter affects the shape of dvdl plot?
> You performed tests about it? I found little about
> it in the forum.

Check out the manual on what this parameter does. IIRC it only applies
to atoms which have sigma parameters of zero to begin with (i.e.
hydrogens) and so it really doesn't do much.

> 2) In my tests, I realized that, simply changing the electrostatic
> interactions
> treatment (cut-off or PME), a large difference it was found at hydration
> free energy.

Of course. Long-range interactions make big differences in this sort
of thing. You should be using lattice-sum (i.e. PME) electrostatics if
you care about accuracy.

> With cutoff I have found 12.2kJ/mol while with PME, 24.0kJ/mol.
> The accepted value must be around 20kJ/mol).
> This to me was somewhat surprising, because, as mentioned above,
> C60 does not have charge, so that effect should be minimized or zero.
> In any case I assign it to the electrostatic of the solvent.
> I suppose the PME result is more reliable, it's ok?
> Do you know some work that explore the effect of the electrostatic of the
> solvent
> on the solvation free energy?

Treatment of long range electrostatics effects the solvent generally,
including the effective hydrogen bond strength and structure, solvent
density, etc. So it's not that surprising it should affect the
hydration free energy. Also, if you think about it, a hypothetical
water molecule at the center of a C60 will have very different
interactions with its environment depend on whether or not it sees
water far away. I would think it would cost more to create a cavity
with PME than without PME because of this effect, which I think is
consistent with the numbers you're giving (though you didn't specify
your sign convention).

The other thing that actually could affect this significantly is
treatment of long-range dispersion interactions. I have a separate
publication with Michael SHirts on that if you are interested (see
http://www.dillgroup.ucsf.edu/~dmobley).

In terms of effects of electrostatics on solvation free energy, I am
not sure whether anyone has studied this explicitly, but certainly the
effects of electrostatics on water structure generally are well known
and studied.

David