[gmx-users] Weird structure after minimization (membrane protein simulation)

Alok alokjain at iitk.ac.in
Sun Feb 3 14:07:05 CET 2008

Dear Mark and Chris,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions which gave me idea to solve the problem.

I have run the minimization again, without the FLEXIBLE water molecules.
After the minimization, structure looks perfectly ok to me. please have a
look at the new snapshoot.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/gromacs/after_em.jpg

It is just my speculation that because I am using the TIP4P water model,
which has dummy atom (-1.04 charge), it might be possible that due to this
water hydrogen's (+0.52 charge) are attracted to the dummy atom of nearby
water molecules. That's why if I closely observed the structures (after
minimization using flexible water model) then, some water molecules
aggregates, and leave some vacuum at other places, that's why structure was
looking weird. It is just my speculation please correct me if I am missing
something.

I have also checked the bond and angle energy values and when I was using
the flexible water model it deviate a lot. For bond energy it increases
8.88556e+04 to 4.10925e+07 and for angle energy 3.60214e+04 to 1.09253e+06
these energy compensated by short range Coulomb which changes -1.65898e+07
to -1.71941e+08 .

Without flexible water molecules there is no such huge deviation from the
original value.Also during the equilibration run I have not observed any
LINCS warnings. I am hoping my problem is solved now :-)

Thanks again to your valuable suggestions.

Best regards,
Alok Jain