[gmx-users] Weird structure after minimization (membrane protein simulation)

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Sun Feb 3 18:43:30 CET 2008

>> Dear Mark and Chris,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your suggestions which gave me idea to solve the problem.
>>
>> I have run the minimization again, without the FLEXIBLE water molecules.
>> After the minimization, structure looks perfectly ok to me. please have a
>> look at the new snapshoot.
>> http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj58/gromacs/after_em.jpg
>
> Looks fine.
>
>> It is just my speculation that because I am using the TIP4P water model,
>> which has dummy atom (-1.04 charge), it might be possible that due to this
>> water hydrogen's (+0.52 charge) are attracted to the dummy atom of nearby
>> water molecules. That's why if I closely observed the structures (after
>> minimization using flexible water model) then, some water molecules
>> aggregates, and leave some vacuum at other places, that's why structure
>> was
>> looking weird. It is just my speculation please correct me if I am missing
>> something.
>
> It's a reasonable theory, but it seems unlikely that you're the first
> person to have encountered this problem, if indeed it is the only problem.
> Still, there's not much need for flexible waters in your EM, so you can
> keep them rigid and go on with life. I'd do that with a clean install, in
> case something weird you've forgotten about is causing the problem.

I use tip4p nearly exclusively and always use flexible waters for my
minimization. I do the minimization with gromacs3.3 or 3.3.1 (even if
I will use 3.1.2 for the make_hole routine). I admit that I would
probably just move on at this point, but I would still be nervous
about it and the fresh install sounds like a good idea.