[gmx-users] g_dist producing inconsistent values

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Feb 7 19:29:54 CET 2008

> I've since found the source of my problem - the program was
> measuring the (marginally shorter) distance across the PBC boundary,
> rather than the distance
> within the box.  Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to
> turn PBC images off (correct me if I'm wrong?), so I guess I'm going
> to do some jiggerypokery with the data and some math.

Use g_energy to output the box-Z then the distance you want should be
the box-Z minus the distance you get. This would be super-dangerous
unless you can be sure that it is actually measuring the distance
across the boundary each time. If, for instance, it measures the
distance you want one time and the distance across the PBC the next
time, then Mark's suggestion would be the way to go.

Chris.