[gmx-users] RAM memory

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Feb 12 23:42:55 CET 2008

zazeri wrote:
> Are 4GB of RAM memory enough to run the gromacs with
> the maximum performance in a computer with dual
> quad-core processors? If the performance is smaller,
> is the decreasing significant?
>
> I´ve read in somewhere Erik Lindahl suggesting 8GB...

It depends how big your simulation systems will be. Cache size, number
of cache levels and bus speed can all also be factors in memory-latency
issues. Any other load on the machine will also be an issue. Thus it's
hard to give even a vague answer on the above information. The only real
test is to get the hardware and try it. If you're possibly buying lots
of boxes, a vendor might let you have a trial.