[gmx-users] eigenvalues as a function of time

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 06:47:32 CET 2008

Hi Michel,

You're principal components will be heavily undersampled (and
therefore underdetermined), most notably the higher ones. You're
likely not even to have more than a single uncorrelated observation
per subtrajectory. The eigenvalue is a measure of the fluctuation, or
actually the spread, over time. It's not that trivial to split that.
Also note that we usually neglect the fact that we have too few
independent observations in a trajectory as it is. You're just making
things worse.

Cheers,

Tsjerk

--