Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: 回复: Re: [gmx-users] about using amb2gmx.pl

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 17:58:13 CET 2008

I think I can probably shed a little bit of light here, although Mark
is getting close in the last chapter of his e-mail.

Basically, pdb2gmx works well for parameterizing proteins, which the
chromophore in question isn't, I'm sure. Since we do lots of
protein-ligand simulations, where the ligand is not well-handled by
pdb2gmx, and since we like the GAFF (Amber) small molecule force
field, we have this amb2gmx.pl script which works well for setting up
small molecules in AMBER and then converting them to get gromacs .top
and .gro files.

Xi, what you need to do is something like this:
1) Generate a .top and .gro of your protein only using pdb2gmx.
2) Generate a .top and .gro of your ligand (chromophore) using amb2gmx.pl
3) Generate a combined .top and .gro by:
a) For the .top: Turning your ligand .top into a .itp file, as Mark
mentions, and including it in the protein topology file. You'll have
to see the manual to figure out differences between a .top and a .itp
b) For the .gro: There are several options here; you'll have to decide
between them by reading the manual or your own preferences. You can
either (i) manually (or using a script) generate one by combining the
ligand and protein .gro files; (ii) instead of a .gro, use a pdb file
(with all hydrogens, in the appropriate order) rather than a gro file
as input for grompp or the other gromacs tools. There may be other
ways as well.

Anyway, where you are at present is apparently step (3).

Hope that helps.

David