[gmx-users] Strange dgdl-value together with lincs

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Thu Feb 21 11:34:58 CET 2008

David, Berk,

 > Hold on, if you are doing this with hardcore, there is a singularity
 > in dG/dlambda. It won't be numerically integrable so whatever you
 > compute will be in error. See my recent JCP paper that I referred you
 > to before.

thats what I thought.
With the latest patched code, I get really good results for the
three-step process and, for the hardcore LJ a deviation, which really
comes from the singularities, I guess.
Now, the 10ns hardcore slow growth and the 3-step discrete lambda
sampling yield perfectly the same number and this is fine.
I will now continue with computing the non-equilibrium values for the
switching process, but I think, those numbers will be ok, too.

 > For what it's worth, too, a delta_lambda of 0.02 is insanely fast
 > "slow growth".

agreed ;)
This was just for bug tracking issues. The step I will use for
production will be slightly smaller :)

Thanks for all your help.

Btw, cause I already uploaded the pics, here they are:
The 1-step hardcore process:
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/groups/grubmueller/start/people/mgoette/images/tot.png
3-step QQ off:
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/groups/grubmueller/start/people/mgoette/images/qqoff.png
3-step QQ on:
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/groups/grubmueller/start/people/mgoette/images/qqon.png
3-step LJ and bonded softcore:
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/groups/grubmueller/start/people/mgoette/images/vdw_sc.png
3-step LJ and bonded hardcore:
http://www.mpibpc.mpg.de/groups/grubmueller/start/people/mgoette/images/vdw_hc.png

This actually proofs again the problem of singularities while using
hardcore LJ morphs. Anyway, the softcore part looks fine and the sum of
the single contributions fits quite well.

As I found out recently, the GROMACS version on the cluster I used, was
without the november bug fix, so I can't tell which fix helped with the
problem. Sorry for that.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310