[gmx-users] Abnormal popc struture after inserting protein

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jul 1 19:43:06 CEST 2008

minnale wrote:

>   So I dont boughter about those sentences because I confirmed in list
> archives that I can proceed further steps and moreover em.gro file is
>     fine, so I went for restrain, here I am getting abnormal POPC
> structure
> means POPC tails are tilting, water molecules structure also disturbed.
>
> Could you please tell me where iam doing mistake?

Not really.  You haven't told us much.  What parameters are you using
(for the protein and the lipids)?  How did you insert your protein?

Also realize that 50 ps is *extremely* short in the realm of membrane
protein MD.  Even after several hundred picoseconds things may look a
bit strange.  Prevailing wisdom is that between 25-30 ns of MD are
required for the lipids to reach equilibrium (although they should look
reasonable after just a few ns, but parameters like area per headgroup
may not level off for a while).

-Justin

> my pr.mdp filetitle              =  protein in popc restrained
> define              =  -DPOSRES_protein
> constraints        =  all-bonds
> integrator          =  md
> dt                  =  0.002    ; ps !
> nsteps              =  10000    ; total 50 ps.
> nstcomm            =  1
> nstxout            =  50
> nstvout            =  1000
> nstfout            =  0
> nstlog              =  10
> nstenergy          =  10
> nstlist            =  10
> ns_type            =  grid
> rlist              =  0.9
> coulombtype        =  PME
> rcoulomb            =  0.9
> rvdw                =  1.4
> pbc                =  xyz
> ; Berendsen temperature coupling is on in three groups
> Tcoupl              =  Berendsen
> tc-grps            =  POPC    Protein  SOL_CL-
> tau_t              =  0.1      0.1      0.1
> ref_t              =  310      310      310
> ; Anisotropic pressure coupling is now on
> Pcoupl              =  berendsen
> pcoupltype          =  anisotropic
> tau_p              =  1.0      1.0    1.0    0        0      0
> compressibility    =  4.5e-5  4.5e-5  4.5e-5  0        0      0
> ref_p              =  1.0      1.0    1.0    0        0      0
> ; Energy monitoring
> energygrps          =  POPC  Protein  SOL_CL-
> ; Generate velocites is on at 300 K.
> gen_vel            =  yes
> gen_temp            =  310.0
> gen_seed            =  173529