[gmx-users] Error:Cannot determine precision of trn file

Yang Ye leafyoung at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 9 13:18:52 CEST 2008

plmallip at mail.uh.edu wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
>                   I successfully finished a 3 ns gromacs run using 40
> nodes.  When, I tried to convert .trr file to .xtc using trjconv, the
> run stops at 560 frame giving error "cannot determimine precision of
> trn file". I tried various options like -skip, -b and -e, -dt option
> as well as -ndx option . But, each time, the run stops at 560.
>                 The second run I gave for 6 ns and this time, the
> trjconv stops at 1180 frame. I have observed the .trr files occupying
> huge memory space - 18 G for 3ns and 34 G for 6 ns runs respectively.
> Memory is not a problem, as I have lot of disk space available.
As some guidelines,
1. Try to use XTC in first place; avoid using TRR unless for some
specific calculation.
2. Having a lot of disk space doesn't mean the latency is short and data
integrity is guaranteed. Check network traffic status if you are using
network file system like NFS.
3. Restart and continue simulation for every 1ns.