[gmx-users] definition of J-couplings in g_chi

Abil Aliev armi510 at live.co.uk
Wed Jul 16 12:15:26 CEST 2008

yes, i already checked gmx_chi.c (see my previous message pasted below), and J_NHa is for proton-proton coupling between N-H and Ca-H protons. The problem is that g_chi outputs a J_NHa value for PRO, where there is no NH proton. Is this a bug?

Abil

--------------
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008

There is a clue in the gmx_c.file, which says:

  { "J_NHa",     6.51, -1.76,  1.6, -M_PI/3,   0.0,  0.0 }

The above A,B,C values are the same as in the Bax paper in JACS, 1993 115 7772 and are for homonuclear 3J(NH,CHa) couplings

    { "J_HaC'",    4.0,   1.1,   0.1,  0.0,      0.0,  0.0 },
The same set of coefficients as in JACS 1995 117 1810 for the Karplus equation for a heteronuclear 3J(1H,13C) coupling between the NH proton and the C' carbon (why use J_HaC' if it is J_NHC' ??)

    { "J_HaN",   -0.88, -0.61,-0.27,M_PI/3,  0.0,  0.0 }

The same as in JACS 1995 117 1810 for the Karplus equation for a heteronuclear 3J(1H,15N) coupling between the Ha proton and the 15N nucleus which is 3 bonds away from Ha.

Going back to the reason for my question, when running g_chi for a PRO containing peptide there should be no output for PRO in the J_NHa column in chi.log as there is no proton attached to N of PRO. But g_chi insists that there is J_NHa coupling for PRO ?!

Abil