[gmx-users] Still :Partial charges QM to GROMACS

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 16 12:25:05 CEST 2008

The derivation of Gromos96 parameters started with some QM, but only to get the
electron densities, if I remember correctly.  The QM charges were never used.
The partial charges were assigned to each atom empirically using a reasonable
guess based on the electron densities from QM, and adjusted as part of the
parameterization scheme.

As such, I don't know that there is a 100% clear answer here.  Using the QM
charges is not going to help you...directly.  As I said previously, probably the
best way to do this parameterization would be empirical derivation, basing your
charge assignment on the functional groups already present in the Gromos96 force
field.

Alkyl chains are uncharged in this force field, but aromatic C-H bonds do have
small partial charges (-0.140 for C, 0.140 for H in 53a6).  The thing that you
have to be careful of is charge groups, which generally contain a total integer
charge over 2 or 3 atoms, something that is not likely to work directly from
QM-derived charges.

-Justin

nahren manuel wrote:
> Dear Gromacs Users,
>
> I think I did not frame my question correctly tha last time around.
> Sorry. Lets say for a C-H (alkyl) bond the partial charges ( from
> SEMI-EMPIRICAL) are (in bracket) ....C(0.234)-H(0.045) . so when I am
> using united atom ff such as GROMOS96 should I take the partial charges
> on carbon as sum of partial charges on C and H (which im my eg becomes
> 0.234 + 0.045 =0.279), ??
>

> regards,
>
> nahren

Justin A. Lemkul