[gmx-users] About "Invalid order for directive atomtypes" error

Hans Martin Senn senn at chem.gla.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 18:24:22 CEST 2008

Hi Xavier

On 16 Jul 2008, at 15:51, Xavier Periole wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 15:04:17 +0100
> Hans Martin Senn <senn at chem.gla.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Dear all
>> This is a topic that has come up a couple of times here, see, e.g., http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-January/032114.html
>>  .
>> However, despite the recommendations given in that previous post,
>> I  think the problem is exactly that the information in the manual
>> is not sufficiently accurate or clear in this case.
>> Specifically: I have a protein with two bound ligands, ZTRP and FAD.
>> - For the protein I use ffamber03. pdb2gmx created two itp files
>> for  the two chains.
>> - For ZTRP, I have built an itp file using AMBER atom types (as
>> defined in ffamber03.atp or ffamber03nb.itp).
>> - For FAD, I have an itp file generated using antechamber and
>> amb2gmx.  It contains an [ atomtypes ] section defining the GAFF
>> atom types.
>> This was my first go at assembling it all in the top file:
>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>> ; Include forcefield parameters
>> #include "ffamber03.itp"
>> ; Include chain topologies
>> #include "topol_A.itp"
>> #include "topol_B.itp"
>> #include "topol_FAD.itp"
>> #include "topol_ZTRP.itp"
>> ; Include water topology
>> #include "ffamber_tip3p.itp"
>> ; Include generic topology for ions
>> #include "ions.itp"
>> [ system ]
>> ; Name
>> Full system in water
>> [ molecules ]
>> ; Compound        #mols
>> Protein_A           1
>> Protein_B           1
>> ZTRP                  1
>> FAD                   1
>> SOL             20893
>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>> However, grompp complained about "Invalid order for directive
>> atomtypes" when including topol_FAD.itp.
> It might be that the same protein name is in two of your different
> topology files.
> The problem is certainly somewhere in those topologies.

By "protein name", do you mean the [ moleculetype ] section? If so,
the answer is no. Each of the molecule itp files specifies exactly one
molecule type (protein chain or ligand); the names are unique.
Of course it is fair to say that the problem is in the topologies, as
demonstrated by my solution to the problem... The point is that it is
apparently not permitted to have [ atomtypes ] (in topol_FAD.itp)
after having read other molecule definitions (in topol_{A,B}.itp), in
contrast to what I think the manual suggests.

Hans

Dr. Hans Martin Senn
Lord Kelvin/Adam Smith Research Fellow

E-mail: senn at chem.gla.ac.uk