[gmx-users] About "Invalid order for directive atomtypes" error

Hans Martin Senn senn at chem.gla.ac.uk
Wed Jul 16 19:06:20 CEST 2008

Hi Justin

On 16 Jul 2008, at 17:50, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
> Hans Martin Senn wrote:
>> Hi Xavier
>> On 16 Jul 2008, at 15:51, Xavier Periole wrote:

>>> It might be that the same protein name is in two of your different
>>> topology files.
>>> The problem is certainly somewhere in those topologies.
>> By "protein name", do you mean the [ moleculetype ] section? If so,
>> the answer is no. Each of the molecule itp files specifies exactly
>> one molecule type (protein chain or ligand); the names are unique.
>> Of course it is fair to say that the problem is in the topologies,
>> as demonstrated by my solution to the problem... The point is that
>> it is apparently not permitted to have [ atomtypes ] (in
>> topol_FAD.itp) after having read other molecule definitions (in
>> topol_{A,B}.itp), in contrast to what I think the manual suggests.
>
> Just thinking out loud, and this may or may not do anything, but I
> know that a lot of problems encountered involving topologies result
> from having things in the wrong order.  For example, you've included
> the FAD.itp before ZTRP.itp, but then called ZTRP before FAD in the
> [ molecules ] section.  I know things in the [ molecules ] section
> need to line up with what's in the .gro/.pdb file, but I don't know
> about for certain about order within the topology.  I once included
> a ligand topology after the water #include statement by mistake, and
> got a different error, but fixing the order solved everything.
>
> Try switching the respective molecule definition or .itp call to
> correspond to whatever is in your structure file, and see if that
> does anything.

It does not (I should have said that I tried that). As you point out,
the order in which the components are listed in the [ molecules ]
section DOES matter. However, it seems that the corresponding itp
files can be included in a different (arbitrary?) order.

Cheers
Hans

Dr. Hans Martin Senn
Lord Kelvin/Adam Smith Research Fellow